Thursday, May 14, 2009

Making a Steel Breech for a Crosman 2240, Part 1

I picked up a Crosman 2240 air pistol a few months ago at a pawn shop. I decided it would benefit from a few modifications, the first of which is a steel breech. So here I go:

Some 1" Free machining steel was chucked true in the 4 jaw chuck.

I drilled down 2" with a long drill bit...

Then a slightly larger drill bit...then repeated until I was in about 4"

I reamed the hole 1/4"

Flipped the work and repeated the step drilling to the proper depth for the barrel.

And reamed to 7/16"

Unchucked my tube from the lathe and started milling.

One side done.

Flipped and the other side milled.

Flipped again...

Now my tube is a rectangle. Why didn't I just start with rectangular stock? Because I wanted to use free machining steel and I didn't have any square on hand.

Finding the edge.

Milling a step as preparation for the dovetail cut.

The other side step cut.

Milling the dovetail.

Almost looks like a breech.

The Taig won't handle a 7/8" diameter end mill, so I had to use my Barker horizontal mill. I aligned the work on the table.

And cut the radius groove. My Barker is pretty worn out so I got a terrible surface finish, the table was slewing back and forth during the cut as the rack feed must have about a 1/4" of backlash. The next breech, I'll line bore on one of the lathes, but for that I'll have to rig up a milling attachment and single point between centers bar.

0 comments:

Post a Comment