Friday, June 12, 2009

Benjamin Marauder Scope Mounting Thoughts

My first comment to Nick about modifying Benjamin Marauder was making the comb of the stock adjustable in height. I was kidding at the time(sort of), but that turns out to be a pretty good idea if your scope of choice has an objective lens larger than about 50 mm. I'm not quite ready to grab the saw just yet, but this might help somebody out.

Scope is a 4-16X 50mm Leapers. First installed the scope with medium Leapers Accushot rings. The knurling on the objective housing just barely touched the barrel. I mean "barely" by a couple thousandths.

A quick swap to high Accushot rings gives the clearance you see above. Shouldering the gun and sighting revealed that I had to break my cheek contact and lift my head slightly to obtain a sight picture. It's workable, but the head position sure isn't repeatable. Unless maybe you've got a head like Herman Munster.

Swapped back to the medium rings--but added 2 layers of friction tape in the bottom half of each ring. The friction tape gave exactly this much room. No problem at all. Snugged the scope down and took a peek. Head position and eye relief looked good.
Thoughts? Unless you modify the stock comb higher, it's probably best to use a set of medium scope rings. This will limit the objective lens to no greater than 50 mm. My personal scope of choice for this gun remains the Centerpoint 4-16 X 40mm Adventure Class model. Would've used it, but I got the Leapers at the Pyramyd Moving Sale at a great price and you know how good deals go. If you're going to shoot field target or something similar, you'll need a scope with more magnification and bells and whistles. Just keep in mind the objective lens clearance issue and head position.

0 comments:

Post a Comment