Monday, January 9, 2012

Slavia 618 Re-tune

Yes, it’s me. Sorry for the lack of postings lately but life has a way of getting busy when you have two jobs and two kids. Good thing Derrick is so prolific!
Back in September some friends came over to shoot airguns with their kids. The Slavia 618 (pt.1, pt.2) is a great size for a child but a few pellets into being shot it just refused to work. So I put it on the rework pile. I finally had a chance to take it apart. I expected there was a problem with the home made seal, but what I found was another issue.
01091201
The guts.

01091202
I think I can chalk this up to inexperience on my part. I clearly was  a little heavy handed with the lube. The piston was gummed up in the cylinder and there was altogether too much heavy airgun grease.

01091203
I also decided it would be a good idea to smooth the piston where it makes contact with the bore.

01091204
Polished up on the beartex wheel.

01091205
I used moly sparingly on the contact surfaces and seal.

01091206
Derrick’s favorite, Slick Honey, is perfect for low power airguns. I put a thin smear on most of the other surfaces.

01091207
I was able to find my fancy spring end block insertion tool. Not bad considering I last worked on this in 2008.

01091208
Just a twist to get it to catch.

01091209
I replaced the heavy, slightly too large trigger spring with a much lighter spring. Not sure if it make a difference.

Back together and it’s back to a functioning state. I’ll probably find that most of the first airguns I worked on have too much lube…live and learn.

0 comments:

Post a Comment